Pages

Friday, January 9, 2015

How I am trying to control my FOMO (fear of missing out)


I am the worst kind of introvert.  I need my alone like I need water. I need to lay in bed and write or read or binge watch Netflix by myself, but I also have a chronic fear of missing out on a fun night with my friends, a party next door, or even just watching a movie with my roomies.



I am 4 days into my January mini semester and last night I broke. I had been staying up late with my roommates and waking up early to have coffee and breakfast with my boyfriend then rushing to do homework before my afternoon class and in the past 2 weeks after moving in with my roommates (who I love!!) I have not had a stress-free moment to myself. I have been a grumpy, caffeine-addled mess, and it's all my fault. Conquering my fear of missing out will be the only way to keep myself sane as my semester and life moves on.


So these are my goals:
  • If I am tired, go to bed (even if that means missing out on half price Applebees apps)
  • Learning to say, "no". I know a huge part of my FOMO is supported by my other problem of never being able to say "no".  
  • Set aside at least a half hour a day to breath, read my SheReadsTruth devotional, watch Netflix, or have chocolate and a coffee.
  • Actually use my planner so I know what I have time for.
  • Prioritize my tasks/activities so I can choose what is important and focus on those things first then decide what else I have time to do


I will follow up this post in 2 weeks to report on the changes I made and how they affected my stress and happiness.


I hope these goals help you to conquer your fear of missing out as well!



No comments:

Post a Comment